Penny Pincher Basics

Blog for penny pincher quilt block swaps

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Organizing your scraps and other great tips I've found

When I first began to quilt, not that long ago, I wasn't sure what to do with the left over scraps. Until..... I found this great website. Bonnie the author of the website has an amazing system for organizing and dealing with her scraps. This system works great for the penny pincher swaps, and I have been using it ever since I read it the first time. Here's the link to her system.

Another great thing I've learned is to chain peice. This makes the quilt get finished much faster. I use it all the time for the penny pincher swaps. Here's a link to that information also.

Many times new quilters don't understand why their blocks aren't coming out at the correct finished size. If you've cut accurately, and sewn an accurate seam, it may be in your pressing. The first time I received blocks back from a block lotto I had won, I was shocked at how neatly pressed everyone else's blocks were, and embarrased by the ones I had sent in. Here's an article about pressing.

Here's an article about rotary cutting that is helpful.

And yet another article, this one about color value.

Sewing an Accurate Seam article.